Sunday, October 28, 2007

View from the top

(Technical note: you should now be able to click on all pictures for an enlarged view.)

Here's a brilliant idea: on the coldest, windiest day yet, I'll climb to the highest point around and attempt to use an ultracompact camera with a metal frame and buttons too small to be manipulated with gloves on. But there aren't many days off (Sundays only) and this one offered a crystal clear view. Though I nearly froze my fingers off, I finally got the shot I've been waiting for.

This is McMurdo station, home to about 1,200. How about a quick tour? First, find the building near the middle with the red roof. That's the hospital--the last place on station you want to go. Right above the hospital is the largest building (roof is white-yellow-white), building 155, which contains--in rough order of importance--my dorm room, the galley, the station store, a sauna, laundry facilities, a hairdresser, and various offices. The other buildings serve a variety of functions: more dorms, 3 gyms of various sorts, 3 equally varied bars, science support centers, a power plant, a desalinization plant, a post office, a chapel, storage up the wazoo, fuel tanks, a heavy machinery shop, a carpentry shop, and a host of other maintenance facilities. Every building has a name, a number, and an acronym or nickname--making things very confusing at times. Would you like to stop by the Aerobics and Exercise Room, building 78, or the Gerbil Gym? Muahaha, they're all the same!

I got a great view of Erebus steaming away too:

Observation hill is also home to a large wooden cross erected in 1913 in memory of Scott and the rest of his party, who froze to death on their journey back from the pole:

And lastly, a sorry attempt at a self-portrait. I would have tried again, but they might have had to pry the camera out of my frozen fingers. Next time, perhaps I'll bring some sort of poking stick to operate the buttons with mittens on. Live and learn.

yours,
pepe

6 comments:

purplecow said...

I really am jealous! Great pictures! What exactly are you working on there?

Inna said...

These are awesome shots! Dont freeze your fingers off!! You will need them for various cooking purposes and more. Be safe - go to the sauna a lot.

Ray Minjares said...

Pepe, that is an awesome shot of McMurdo station. Can you describe what is in those three giant round containers in the bottom right? Also, what is that white ball on the top of one of the hills in the distance? And will you ever venture out into that awesome white expanse?

Keep these nice photos coming. You're doing a great job with them.

Ray

Barb said...

Wow! Incedible pictures. Especially like the enlarge feature. Will have to ask you how you do that someday. Maine has been a bit like the Poles recently. Killing frost Monday night. I am procrastinating doing my homework. Last class before I will be certified in yet another teaching category, all which make me increasingly more unemployable if I have need to find another job before retirement. Happy Halloween!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Great to know that there's an interested audience out there. I'll try to keep coming up with good pictures, if that's what it takes to keep you coming back!

The giant round containers Ray noticed are fuel tanks. They hold a variety of fuel, which has to last for an entire year before filling up again. They hold a variety of fuels--the ones in this shot each contain 20 million gallons of JP-5 jet fuel.

The white ball is a radar installation. There are a couple others like it here and there in high places. I believe you'd usally find them at airports, and indeed here (i think) they're used to guide landings at all 3 local airstrips.

In fact, I just got back from part of the "awesome white expanse." But I'm a good bit backlogged on the blogging, so it might be a little while before I can tell you about it!

pepe

Unknown said...

Dear Brother,
You are my hero
without a doubt.

I love you!

-Becca
[your ratscrew/spit competitor and comrade]