Sunday, January 20, 2008

the peach and the pain

i've done it: 26.2 miles of white nothingness. a marathon. something i've always wanted to do, but never enough to train properly for. so i didn't! and paid for that with utter exhaustion and pain so great i've been shuffling around like an old man. even made it (by the skin of my teeth) in under 5 hours. more importantly, i've done it, and need never do it again. hallelujah for that.

a few of the things that got me through:
-michael franti
-one fresh peach
-jules' inspiration
-supporters: very few but very enthusiastic
-visions of mom's white pizza on becca's thin crust dancing in my head

others' pics will probably be more interesting--i'll share 'em when i get 'em.

pray i can walk tomorrow.
pepe

3 comments:

Family Jules said...

Pepe,
That is totally freakin' amazing! I'm incredibly impressed that you did this. While it is physically hard to do, the mental toughness needed to handle it is just as big a deal. Don't you feel that if you can do this you can do anything? You certainly picked a unique place to do it. I'm very envious.

I'm touched that you thought of me while running it (I hope you don't hate me :)).

As for walking - Get a massage, you're gonna need it!

GlennP said...

Congratulations! You've doubled the longest race I ever completed. From the pix, however, I think the scenery of Philadelphia half was a bit more varied (even though it was only Philly).
Love to hear the details. Water stations? Frozen ice stations? How many runners?
Best wishes. Mom and Becca are planning white pizza for your return AND we have a new Indian and a new Middle Eastern restaurant near Vasar!
We travel to UCONN and UMASS at Amherst later this week for Glenn. Coming down the home stretch of college choices.
Dad

fultonstudent said...

I'm amazed.
(Check this out. I bet you miss NPR: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=17923388).